[ProAudio] The High-Resolution Challenge

Bob Olhsson olh at hyperback.com
Sat Feb 15 16:56:56 EST 2020

By the same token, the reason to down-sample is to save space. We don’t actually record at 48k. We record at much higher sample rates and then down-sample to save storage.

The real issue is when and by how much should we down sample. For production, many of us feel down-sampling to no less than 96k yields better sounding signal processing in a final 48 or 44.1k product than a chain of up and down-sampled processes. It’s all about easier filtering.

Bob Olhsson 615-562-4346

From: Dan Lavry via ProAudio:The reason to up sample is to enable easier filtering.