[ProAudio] [ProAud] The High-Resolution Challenge

Dan Lavry dan at lavryengineering.com
Thu Feb 13 12:23:24 EST 2020

Increasing the bandwidth comes with increased noise. It is true for converters, analog amplifiers and every thing.Assuming the simple case of random flat noise, doubling the bandwidth increase noise by near 3dB. The argument is that you don't hear the noise above hearing (say above 20Khz), so why care?Let's look at harmonics, and at noise picked up on analog cables. Let's focus on the energy above hearing. Can that cause a probem? Not an issue when rhe device processing the signal (DA, power amp, speaker...) is perfecty linear. But non linearity makes some of that high frequency energy find its way to the hearing range (intermodulation generates sums, differences with integer multiples...).How big a problem is it? I live it up to the good well trained ears. Personaly, I think it would be dumb to consider 1Ghz bandwidth for audio. The old hifi standard was 20-20Khz. I see a couple of reasons to stay away from excessive bandwith, but cutting it short, at 96KHz  sampling, you have around 20Khz audio and 20-28Khz region that you wish to have little energy, to overcome possible audible non linearity of the next devices. At 192Khz sampling, you have 60-70KHz of un needed bandwith...The main reason why people don't encounter much of what I described is most mics provide a lot protection.  20KHz mic will make sure that energy will be removed from the above hearing zone (before encountering non linearity). So why 192Khz or higher? If you can't hear it, and your dog can't either...RegardsDan LavrySent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone