[ProAudio] [ProAud] The High-Resolution Challenge

Chris Caudle chris at chriscaudle.org
Thu Feb 13 12:55:44 EST 2020

On Thu, February 13, 2020 2:23 pm, Dan Lavry via ProAudio wrote:
> So why 192Khz or higher? If you can't hear it, and
> your dog can't either...

There is only one argument that makes sense to me:  cheap converter chips
mess up the filter implementation in the cascaded stages of the decimation
filter,  and sound better at high rate, and it is  more cost effective to
use the cheap chips and SRC inside a PC  than it is to use the cheap chips
and add on extra FPGA or what have you to make proper filters.

That argument is basically that because most recording is PC based it is
more economical to throw lots of storage and processor at the problem
rather than a more sophisticated converter design, especially if you have
to buy a few dozen channels of converter.

I don't see that has any bearing on delivery format, however, since
typically you would  only need two to five channels of high quality
upsampling filters, so even for high quality less expensive than the
dozens of channels you may have on the recording end, and the people who
care about the possible slight quality difference can spend the money on
high quality playback components, and the majority of people listening in
the car or in a noisy house don't have to worry about it.

The one thing I wish were easier to verify is the actual in to out
behavior of the digital filters, both on the ADC and DAC devices.  Teasing
out the effects of the digital filters from the analog behavior seems
really difficult to me.

--
Chris Caudle