[ProAudio] FeralA - Recordings released encoded with Dolby A

Bob Shumaker rshumaker at aol.com
Tue Feb 11 12:51:19 EST 2020

II. As for Bob O's comment against the practice of doing elevated dolby level, I agree there was a standard for 185, but as people started to use elevated levels as high as 6 dB over 185, I was seriously concerned about running out of headroom in the Dolby gear if standard dolby level was used, and so as a practice, I see less harm in using an elevated dolby level than to overload the Dolby processor with too hot audio. I always recorded dolby tone as well as 1 kHz @  VU. The Dolby 361 meters, as Richard mentioned, were notoriously inaccurate, I would put a sharpie mark on the real dolby level on the meter, for what it was worth. There was a Dolby tester that could be used for accuracy of the dolby tone or I believe a test point that could be checked.
 I agree with Bob K's concept for elevated record levels. How does the Dolby unit know what the flux level is. The situation was even worse for how SR was supposed to be setup. Not many consoles would have had the head room needed and the meters would have been pinned much of the time.