[ProAudio] FeralA - Recordings released encoded with Dolby A

Bob Katz bobkatz at digido.com
Tue Feb 11 10:52:45 EST 2020

Dear John:

In other words, in Plangent, first you adjust the angle of the repro
head to get the best bias recovery --- which should match the angle of
the record head. BUT, due to several factors, including possible gap
scatter (non-colinear gaps), this might not fix the time delay between
the two channels.

So what happens in post, do you adjust the time delay between the two
channels listening in mono?

An interesting dilemma is a stereo recording made with spaced mikes. If
you correct the time delay between two audio impulses seen on two
channels, you then mess up the intended stereo imaging. In that case, I
think that examining the time delay between the two bias signals would
be far more accurate than trying to fix it based on audio impulses. What
about that dilemma?

When I have a recording made with two spaced omnis, first I check that
the polarity of one is not messed up by checking for maximum bass
response in mono, inverting the polarity of one of them. If I was doing
an analog tape transfer of this recording, if I had access to the bias
signal like you that's what I'd use to adjust the angle of the repro
head. In the absence of that I listen and do my best.

Bob

--

If you want good sound on your album, come to Bob Katz 407-831-0233
DIGITAL DOMAIN MASTERING STUDIO Author: *Mastering Audio* Digital Domain