[ProAudio] FeralA - Recordings released encoded with Dolby A

Richard L. Hess lists at richardhess.com
Sun Feb 9 11:23:30 EST 2020

Hi, Scott, Bob, and Corey,

Thank you very much for your quick and interesting replies.

Scott, One of the main sources of this is CD reissues, but I'm not
certain what other sources my colleague, John, is using. Yes, you bring
up a good point about who-knows-what. So, perhaps the question could be
extended to any folklore that was circulating in the early days of CD
about how to deal with those overly bright master tapes that had the
silly yellow sticker on them that they didn't understand.

Corey, for the cassettes, did you encode in Dolby A or Dolby B?

Working with John on this has pointed out to me how much damage Dolby A
coding/decoding did to a recording. Back in the day, my purist recording
friend, Don Ososke from San Francisco never used Dolby as he hated what
it did to the music. I tried some dbx and found it horrid, but I needed
some NR on the choir recordings I was doing, so I sprung for a pair of
361s and used them, but I'm really glad we have that behind us now.

The nice thing about John's software is that it reduces some of the
intermodulation that would other wise be an artifact of the NR decoding
process.

Thanks again for all your thoughts.

Cheers,

Richard