[ProAudio] stereo perception through headphones

moskowitz lenmoskowitz at optonline.net
Sun Feb 2 13:39:42 EST 2020

Personalized HRTFs can currently be derived in two ways.

The first is to sit in a large anechoic room, with binaural microphones in your ears, while you get rotated as a loudspeaker gets positioned around you on a boom. It's not something you can do at home.

The second is to use the recent methods of determining your personal HRTF from a photo of either one or both of your ears.

Here's one:
https://www.genelec.com/aural-id

Here's another:
https://www.audeze.com/products/reveal

These work well.

Sony announced another one at the last AES, but it's not yet available:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/360-reality-audio

There are  also a few databases of HRTFs that you can go through to find one that works for you. NYU has a repository for them.

https://research.steinhardt.nyu.edu/marl/research/head_related_impulse_responses_repository

Len Moskowitz (moskowit at core-sound.com)
Core Sound LLC
www.core-sound.com