[ProAudio] Transformer color revisited -- DC injection

Bob Katz bobkatz at digido.com
Sat Jul 22 06:50:10 PDT 2023

Hi everyone. Hope you're still around!

I'm finally getting to finding time to build my "ultimate transformer
color box".

Back in January, 2022, Bill Whitlock wrote:

"Yes, increasing series R on the drive side will exaggerate magnetic
non-linearities of the core material (i.e., THD).  If you want to shift
the mix of odd to even order harmonics, add a few mA of DC on the
primary side (say 0 to 30 VDC through a 10 k-ohm resistor directly to
the primary side."

My box contains a pair of WE111 and a pair of UTC A-20. Two sets of
transformers with distinctly different saturation characteristics. It
uses a couple of Wayne Kirkwood mastering insert relay boards to
optionally insert a variable series resistor, and to switch in one or
the other transformer.

Attached is a schematic for those who are interested. Simple stuff, but fun!

I wasn't planning on having a DC injection circuit, then it occurs to me
I have a spare pair of relays. I'm trying to keep the box totally
passive, so the question is how to handle the DC injection. We don't
know what the source will be as it could be from any of my mastering
gear, which is typically an active balanced output. With relays I could
insert a large series capacitor to keep the DC injection from back
feeding into the balanced source. block the DC injection from
contaminating the source, plus the variable DC injection into a
transformer primary. How does that idea sound to you?

Next question: Should I worry about the DC injection circuit permanently
magnetizing the core of a transformer?

Best wishes,

Bob

--

If you want good sound on your album, come to Bob Katz 407-831-0233
DIGITAL DOMAIN MASTERING STUDIO Author: *Mastering Audio* Digital Domain