[ProAudio] Transformer color revisited -- DC injection

Bill Whitlock engineer_bill at verizon.net
Sat Jul 22 11:00:50 PDT 2023

First, you'll get a lot more "effect" from el-cheapo transformers (smaller cores) rather than better ones like the 111's.
Second, the chances of any significant remanent magnetization depends on many things. Higher DC current increases risk, of course, but technically the width of the BH loop of the core material also has a huge effect.  In general, steel has the widest and high-nickel alloys (like Permalloy) have the narrowest. But then you may like the sound of a magnetized core. It will have stronger even-order harmonics than odd, which normally predominate.
Cores can be demagnetized by driving them into saturation with AC and then slowly reducing the AC amplitude to zero (over a period of 15 to 30 seconds). Cores will, of course, saturate with the least voltage at very low frequencies, say 10 or 20 Hz.  Only one winding need be driven and you can tell you've reached saturation by looking for flat-topping of the voltage output at any other winding. Always check to be sure the driving source isn't clipping when you think you've reached the saturation point.
Bill WhitlockAES Life Fellow(from my new home in Chino, CA)

Sent from the all new AOL app for Android