[ProAudio] Muncy Revisited: Pin 1 to chassis through a capacitor?

crispin at crookwood.com crispin at crookwood.com
Sat Dec 2 14:37:03 PST 2023

Hi Bob,

Well, there’s theory and practice…

In your case, there are two things to consider:

1.	There is no such thing as ground
2.	You are making essentially a power amp (big current)

Point 1) means that you the second you pass any current through a conductor, it ceases to be a ground reference.  Point 2) means that you are going to be dumping an amp say (if it’s a decent studio headphone amp) through your ground return – it really will stop being a ground.

Typically if you’ve got a nice metal box, you can treat this as a chassis ground for RFI.  Relatively low level currents will circulate around the chassis, and you can tie pin 1 to this OK.  The chassis will float to a potential due to the RFI currents, and all of the pin 1’s will mostly be shorted together.  Every input can be connected to a differential amp, balanced, or unbalanced, so the inputs are all sorted.

However, your power amp is unbalanced.  If you connect the return of your  headphones to this chassis by shorting the output “ground” to the chassis, it will all go Pete Tong, because you’re now dumping 1A through the chassis.

The current flow goes, 1A through the transformer secondary, ref the 0V of the secondary, via the regulators to the power amp, via the output transistors, via the headphones, back down the return ground. This return ground needs to be connected to two points. 1 to the power amp ground reference differential pin, because the power amp output is referenced to this, and 2 directly to the 0V tap of the secondary, and nowhere else.

You can connect the return ground to pin 1/ chassis via a 10N ceramic if you want some RFI attenuation however.

Finally, you need to connect your 0V secondary to the chassis at one point, and one point only.  This ground partitioning will give you the best RFI and audio performance.  Digital grounding is different however.

Note mass production often uses ground planes.  These are convenient, but do not provide a good analogue ground, especially if you’re dumping any current through them.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards

Crispin Herrod-Taylor

Managing Director, Crookwood