[ProAudio] Muncy Revisited: Pin 1 to chassis through a capacitor?

David Josephson dlj at josephson.com
Sat Dec 2 14:26:16 PST 2023

Bob, there are already three good answers from John, Richard and Jim -- I don't have much to add except to puzzle about what you would consider 0V on the AC side of the power supply (and why you would want to tie that to chassis.) Ground and neutral are connected at one point only on your premises, as you know. I think your power supply commenter might have been referring to that -- tying the AC neutral to the chassis would be wrong for a bunch of reasons, including potentially injecting ground current noise into the regulator. I have seen another variant of that problem, with filter capacitor ground paths sharing a common path with something else and injecting hum into the other path through common impedance coupling.

As Jim said, T-R-S headphone jacks should have the sleeve (audio return) tied to chassis with the same care that you do with the input, but if there is a reason you don't want to do that, you can use a capacitor so at least all the RF gets to the enclosure ground through a short path.

David Josephson