[ProAudio] Muncy Revisited: Pin 1 to chassis through a capacitor?

Richard L. Hess lists at richardhess.com
Sat Dec 2 12:02:20 PST 2023

John,

I agree with you, but I think the Pin 1 of the input connector should be
connected directly to chassis, preferably using a purpose designed XLR
connector if you're going to be in very high RF. I think Neutrik has an
XLR connector with Pin 1 bonded to the connector housing which is then
bonded to the chassis. The power supply should be grounded to the
chassis via a short lead -- remember ohms-per-square? The chassis is a
lower impedance than any wire (as long as it's metal.

I agree with the twisted triplet from PS to amplifier board. I'm not so
certain the chassis connection needs to come from that triplet, but
rather a shorter jumper.

The output, while not shown, should be a floating jack with a capacitor
directly to ground for RF bypass with the common signal lead coming from
the amp module. If there are two amp modules (one per channel), that
requires additional wiring.

I defer to Bill Whitlock in this. I think I'm accurately portraying his
suggestions, but there is a lot of stuff on the Jensen Transformers
website (or at least there was before it was bought by Radial Engineering).

Cheers,

Richard

--
Richard L. Hess                           AES Life Fellow
Aurora, Ontario, Canadarichard at richardhess.com
http://www.richardhess.com/tape               647 479 2800
http://www.richardhess.com/notes    Quality tape transfers