[ProAudio] Western Electric 111C transformers

Dave Collins dc at collinsaudio.com
Tue Feb 1 10:16:34 PST 2022

IMO, the 111C is not a good candidate for a ‘color’ transformer.  In fact, it’s *the* lowest distortion transformer at LF I’ve ever measured.  You can try increasing the source Z, but I doubt it will  decrease the performance by much - same by adding DC.

The technique I have used is to take a really lousy transformer, and apply mixed-feedback (Lundahl data sheet is a good start).  This allows easy adjustment of the amount of “correction,” and works surprisingly well.

DC