[ProAudio] Western Electric 111C transformers

Bob Katz bobkatz at digido.com
Wed Feb 2 06:07:14 PST 2022

Gawd, this goes back! Now I remember. In the 70's, when I worked in
Radio and TV, a little before we got some portable "high fidelity"
microwave relays and long before we got "the Internet" We used to order
5 kc mono and very occasionally 15 kc stereo lines to do remote symphony
broadcasts from Bushnell Hall in downtown Hartford via Telco. They were
VERY expensive and you had to order the lines weeks in advance so that
Telco could "do their magic". I know that Telco cranked up the EQ
(actually they rolled off the bottom to get more top) and so the level
was effectively low and the SNR was terrible over a 5 to 10 mile copper
run from the hall to the station....  which may have gone through a
couple of COs. I never looked in the back room to see the "high
fidelity" demarc where I'm sure I would have found those 111Cs!!!!

I'd hate to see the phase shift....

You guys are taking me WAY WAY back.

Bob

--

If you want good sound on your album, come to Bob Katz 407-831-0233
DIGITAL DOMAIN MASTERING STUDIO Author: *Mastering Audio* Digital Domain