[ProAudio] Bluetooth Latency (or Baby's First Bluetooth)

Crispin HT crispin at crookwood.com
Sun May 16 03:56:38 PDT 2021

Hi Mike,

I’ve made a few BT designs for domestic speakers, and the latency issue is mostly to do with the Codec.  The default codec (SBC) has a few latency issues, but it should be in the 100mS range rather than seconds.

The standard low latency codec is aptX low latency (renamed now to the catch all aptX adaptive), and this is good enough not to cause lip sync issues when watching films etc.

Because the aptX codecs appear in higher grade machines, you’ll have to go up in price,  and you might find it easiest to get an BT chip R&D evaluation kit, and use this instead.  But these are open boards and need a bit of ( simple) programming.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards

Crispin Herrod-Taylor
Managing Director, Crookwood