[ProAudio] Caig Labs Cramolin

David Josephson dlj at josephson.com
Mon May 10 22:36:13 PDT 2021

Neither is Cramolin Red a contact cleaner. Oleic acid is mildly corrosive; for unplated metal like brass patch-bay plugs (or flaws in nickel or gold plating) it’s great for removing oxidation but should be washed off with a neutral solvent unless you’re going to follow it with Cramolin Blue.

The correct solution in my view is to replace the connectors, switches, pots etc. that need to be cleaned regularly. Gold or even nickel plated contacts should not need to be cleaned unless they are defective.

Stabilant-22 is a workaround for contacts that are not properly engineered, having too small a contact area and/or insufficient contact pressure to break through oxidation.