[ProAudio] Microphones question

Bob Katz bobkatz at digido.com
Mon Jun 14 07:42:07 PDT 2021

Dan: As you can see, there are so many variables, that all we can do is
an approximation using 150 ohms, in order to come up with an EIN value
for the preamp, which will be an approximation. Feel free to specify
alternate EIN values in the preamp spec sheet in addition to the
widely-accepted 150 ohms, for example, with 50 ohm source at 40 dB gain.
Maybe it will help characterize your preamp better to the reader. Maybe
someone will discover that all microphones should have a lower output
impedance to get better performance.

But as Scott pointed out, why not eliminate the issues and go with a
digital output microphone. My concerns there are jitter. But there are
ways around that with a superior PLL at the receiving end.

Best wishes,

Bob

--

If you want good sound on your album, come to Bob Katz 407-831-0233
DIGITAL DOMAIN MASTERING STUDIO Author: *Mastering Audio* Digital Domain