[ProAudio] Digital crossover and IR correction options?

cheater cheater cheater00social at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 12:01:52 PST 2021

Hi all,
I am setting up monitoring in my home studio using a pair of PMC MB2
XBD's, and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a reliable
piece of kit that could do crossover, room correction using (short)
impulse responses, basic routing (input selection, output selection
for far/near field), and some sort of remote volume knob. My system
comes with a pair of analog line level PMC/Bryston 10B(-derived)
crossovers, but I'd like to configure my system differently. The way
the Brystons work, the XBDs are basically used in stereo. Meanwhile,
I'd like to make my bass (below ~80 Hz) mono, and use the two XBD
cabinets for different parts of the spectrum. I don't need very high
SPL, and due to a smaller room than those speakers are really meant
for I'll have to put the cabs in creative places anyways to avoid room
mode issues. So this means I'd like to be able to split the system
into five bands, whereas the existing crossovers only run 3 bands. A
high order EQ of some sorts to get rid of modes would be very useful
as well. I guess given the amount of I/O, connectivity via Ethernet
with AVB or AES51 towards an ADC and DAC would be a good idea.

All I could really come up with is Windows + VST + an audio interface,
but if anyone can suggest something that's hardware, I would really
appreciate this. It seems like finding something that does convolution
is the sticking point.

I would also appreciate tips on what sort of filter type and order to
use in the bass section cross over.

My main application would be (learning) mastering of all kinds of music.

Best regards,
Damian