[ProAudio] Lossless audio on YouTube

Louis Hone louhone at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 08:47:08 PDT 2021

This Sgt Pepper mono/stereo discussion, got my little grey cells going as
it was not how I remembered the stereo album.
I just finished listening to the stereo vinyl of '67. Yes there is a lot of
hard left/hard right. But in many songs, the vocals are dead center.
In the opening number, Paul is on one side but the chorus is on the other
and then slowly pans to the middle and Paul takes over on the other side.

In 1967 most stereo albums had set the format with vocals + bass center.
I think one of the reasons this album is so fabulous is that they more or
less said "there are no rules or recipes - anything goes."
They used the panorama very creatively. You don't get much of that anymore.
I don't care for the mono remix from the Mono Box Set. For my taste, it's
over compressed and harsh.
Nothing like my original vinyl from the UK (which is miles apart from the
North american version - don't want to start a discussion here).

It was easier back then. All I had to worry about was a good stereo mix and
possibly a mono one.
I just prayed that the radio stations would not mess it up badly.
Now the engineers have to worry about all the different release formats,
streaming, YouTube, vinyl, CD, etc etc
Glad to be out of the rat race/format war.

Louis