[ProAudio] Lossless audio on YouTube

Richard L. Hess lists at richardhess.com
Sat Apr 24 07:56:02 PDT 2021

Corey,

I should not get started on this, but I'll keep it brief. People don't
care or sometimes prefer using UNDECODED tracks that were Dolby A
encoded in their re-releases.

While John Dyson, with some support from me, has worked tirelessly on
the software decoder for tapes recorded with Dolby A, the feedback is
it's not quite there yet.

Dolby made software decoders for Dolby A and SR for one of their Cinema
products, but have said to me "we will never issue a software decoder
plugin" and "it's impossible."

For many reasons I can understand those statements, and I see why "good
enough for Cinema projection" isn't "good enough for master tapes."

Also, I know people who prefer the 361 decoder over the 363 and
vice-versa (I prefer the 363).

It would even be difficult to remanufacture hardware Dolby A decoders
today because a few specific components that affect the micro-timing of
the attack/release are no longer manufactured, and Dr. Dolby used some
of these components, it appears, precisely for their transfer function
at specific levels. This is very difficult to emulate in software
(generic diode and Zener diode models don't work) and may be why it's
well nigh impossible to do one.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard at richardhess.com