[ProAudio] Lossless audio on YouTube

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Apr 23 22:53:16 PDT 2021

On 4/23/2021 1:02 PM, Scott Dorsey via ProAudio wrote:
> 1. The average viewer really doesn't care about sound quality.
>
> 2. Video people on the whole care and know less about sound quality
>     even than the average listener.

Sure. And much of what's on youtube is uploaded by amateurs. Data
compression is the LEAST of the problems with much of what I hear. I'm
thrilled if the distortion and/or dynamics processing isn't excessive,
the musical balance is decent, and the spectral balance is within range
of what I can EQ with the small mixer I recently added to my primary
computer listening system to get it where I can stand to listen to it.

I mostly listen to either speech (news, interviews) or acoustic jazz,
some old, some relatively contemporary. The channel EQ has LF and HF
shelving and a 2.5 kHz filter. The shelving tends to correct for the
recording/mastering engineer's monitoring system, as well as how well
(or how poorly) he miked/mixed bass and drums. The mid-range filter has
made a few terribly muddy vintage vocals listenable.

I recently bought a Sonny Rollins 2-CD set on the Resonance label that
consisted of a studio session and several live dates from multiple
sources. There seems to have been no one listening to the transfers or
the mastering -- every session sounded VERY different. It's like they
made a straight transfer and loaded up the CD masters with no effort to
EQ out the differences. And the differences were NOT subtle -- the first
CD starts with the studio set, which sounded great, but the live stuff
was a mess. It would have taken much more than my limited EQ to make it
listenable! And this is a label that brags about their quality.

Jim Brown