[ProAudio] DAT Transfers

Kevin P. Mostyn lists at mostyn.com
Tue Apr 6 08:10:51 PDT 2021

I’m transferring all my DATs to hard drives. I have about 3,000 DATs, all classical music. Approximately half were direct copies of master tapes. These were made in the 1990s. I have not played them in the nearly 30 years since.

I bought a MOTU UltraLite MK4 interface. It has been quite reliable. The process is all digital all the time, no resampling. I just needed a device to convert the DAT digital output to USB audio stream format. My DATs are 16/48.

The main problem I’ve had is with the DATs themselves. The format was not meant to be elitist. There’s quite a lot of data on that tiny strip of thin tape.

I have about a dozen professional decks. Tascam, Sony, Panasonic. It’s impossible to predict which machine will play a DAT without errors. The difference among them can be astonishing. A DAT can be unplayable on one, yet perfect on another. And this is not a consistent result. Some days the Tascams are great, then the next tape will play only on a Sony or a Panasonic. The unfortunate thing is that the errors cannot be seen using spectral analysis unless one zooms in quite closely to the affected section. But the error is quite audible. I had considered doing the project using a data DAT machine at high speed, but decided that I couldn’t be certain that all audible errors would be corrected by that process. So I’m doing this real-time.

Since the pandemic started, I’ve been under effective “house arrest.” It seemed that this would be a good time for this project. I’m nearing 1,000 completed transfers. I estimate that more than 98% have been successfully transferred, although many have required multiple attempts using my various decks. In some cases I’ve had to edit parts of different passes to assemble a usable whole.

As for your approaching 80 and your project being a one-off, I’m 75 and my project is definitely a one-off. I hope I live to finish it!

Kevin