[ProAudio] The High-Resolution Challenge

Richard L. Hess lists at richardhess.com
Sat Feb 15 08:52:12 EST 2020

On 2020-02-14 5:28 p.m., Dan Lavry via ProAudio wrote:
> Do you recall the bandwidth of the mics used in the organ recording?
Dan,

I did a fair amount of pipe organ recording in the 1970s and early 1980s.

This link is the factory-supplied frequency response curve of one of my
current first-choice microphones for this application, the DPA 4006-TL.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgucs2su6sastdl/One_of_Richard-s_DPA_4006TLs_Factory_Response.jpg?dl=0
I wish I had had a pair of these when I was active with serious pipe organs.

These were all made with an ORTF pair of AKG C451/CK1 mics except the
Britten recording which was made with two A-B pairs of C451s, and I
don't know if the rear pair were omnis or cardioids any more. I suspect
cardioids. The Organs of NY was used with an A-B pair of C451 omnis (NOT
the CK22).
http://www.richardhess.com/stt/stt200.htm

Cheers,

Richard