[ProAudio] The High-Resolution Challenge

Dan Lavry dan at lavryengineering.com
Fri Feb 14 14:28:16 EST 2020

I am not saying that 48KHz is better or worse than 96KHz. Clearly at 44.1Khz the theoretical bandwidth is 22.05Khz. That is already a couple of dB loss at 20Khz. Add a 20Khz mic for another 3dB, and perhaps a speaker for another 3dB.. pretty soon you find it to be difficult to accomodate the 20-20Khz hi fi standard. Do you recall the bandwidth of the mics used in the organ recording? It seems to me that too much is attributed to figuring sample rate, which is a step removed from the question of what we need for bandwidth.I undestand that it us not intuitive to understand that you only need to reach some minimum number of samples for a given bandwidth, and more samples do not add any information for perfect reproduction of the original. I wrote a whole 32 page paper Sampling Theory, based on Nyquist work, but some folks can't shake the notion that the more is better....RegardsDan LavrySent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone