[ProAudio] The High-Resolution Challenge

Dan Lavry dan at lavryengineering.com
Fri Feb 14 10:46:28 EST 2020

First, I am having difficulties typing on my phone, will try to do better. My name is still Lavry, not Lary...Second, the issue of non linearity covers everything, from all analog system to digital audio. Clearly, converters are an issue for digital audio, but the other gear including analog gear are also involved. That is why we need to ask the general question: do we want to include energy above hearing if we can't hear it. It is easy to understand that music production requires good gear and good ears. But the goal is to please the end user.One can not assume that the end users have good gear. Gear with non linear transfer will produce unwanted energy in the audible range. That is bad enough. But adding high frequency above hearing will add to the problem. Again, fact of life about circuits, non linearity is higher at higher frequencies. One can eliminate the problem due to the higher non audible energy by making sure It is not there to start with (don't feed the beast, nothing to intermodulate with..).This is not about filtering and ailiasing. One can feed the best signals and a non linear device will manufacturer the problem. For example, a poor amp fed 10Khz and 27Khz may generate 27 - 2 × 10 = 7Khz, or 3 × 10 - 27 =3khz or other combinations. The amplitude is dependent on the specific non linearity shape. She'll we ignore it? I think it should be a part of the converstion about hi res...RegardsDan LavrySent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone