[ProAudio] Dragon modifications (was FeralA - Recordings released encoded with Dolby A)

Bill Whitlock engineer_bill at verizon.net
Wed Feb 12 12:43:55 EST 2020

Hi Richard,
As I recall (it's been 35 years), we calculated the scale factor by making precise measurements of the mechanical parts between the ribbon and head. The LVDT transducer itself is, of course, easily calibrated. The complete project file is likely rotting in a file cabinet somewhere at Capitol right now - sigh!  I never explored the remote connector, but it would be relatively simple to protect it from static and any other voltage "insults" with some low-cost semiconductors available now (low Vf schottky clamp diodes plus <10 mA high-voltage JFETs in series - it's my current favorite "bullet-proofing" for most digital I/O ports).
And thanks for the correction about actual head construction. The Dragon is truly an amazing machine. My home system includes a more modest BX-300, but it likely needs rubber part replacement and a performance check-up since it's been in storage for a couple years due to my recent down-sizing move.
Best regards,Bill