[ProAudio] [ProAud] The High-Resolution Challenge

Scott Dorsey kludge at panix.com
Tue Feb 11 15:26:16 EST 2020

> Thus I am 99.9999999% convinced that the sonic differences between
> sample rates are not due to the bandwidth, but rather to the
> performance of the converters themselves.

This being the case, though, isn't this a good reason to use a higher
sample rate?  Even if you downsample or upsample it in order to use
it?

Also... as always, it's a lot easier to hear that things sound different
and a lot harder to hear which one is actually better.  I have heard a
number of converters that I am pretty sure sound better at lower sample
rates.

I remember back in the Bad Old Days of digital when a number of machines
sounded much better at 48 ksamp/sec than at 44.1... and investigation
determined that most of them were using the same filter constants for
both....except for the Wadia D/A which had no proper reconstruction filter
at all...
--scott