[ProAudio] [ProAud] The High-Resolution Challenge

Crispin HT crispin at crookwood.com
Tue Feb 11 00:13:04 EST 2020

There are so many issues with “Hi-res” audio, it’s not really surprising.

Consumers are used to hi res TV, and can clearly see the difference, especially when the image is magnified by ever larger TVs.  We have no audio equivalent of this magnification effect, so it hard to tell the difference, especially in double blind tests.  Hence the marketing is mostly hype based.

The higher frequency sample rates also carry with them issues with so-so designed consumer audio gear.  As a safety net, I wouldn’t like to see any high frequency noise etc, possibly at full range put into some domestic gear, so HF filtering should be applied.  But then you’d see this is the spectra and would somebody cry foul?

With older masters at 44.1, can we actually make a 192K version without smirking as we sell it?  The only way I can see of adding any value is to resample it via an analogue chain, in which case it’s really been re-mastered, not converted.

It would seem consumer audio is all going back to specmanship, rather than concentrating on the actual musical experience.

Cheers

Crispin Herrod-Taylor
Managing Director, Crookwood
 <http://www.crookwood.com/> www.crookwood.com