[ProAudio] FeralA - Recordings released encoded with Dolby A

Richard L. Hess lists at richardhess.com
Sun Feb 9 12:13:10 EST 2020

Hi, Bob,

Thanks for that. This raises an issue. The Dolby 361 manual scan that I
have (I don't recall it being from my printed copy) has three sets of
alignment instructions, starting on page 33.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kxsspum8jo63apy/Dolby_361.pdf?dl=0

I have yellow Dolby A stickers and I've seen the odd blue one, were
these meant to match the schemes in the manual? If so, I did it wrong.
For my choir/organ material at St. Thomas Church on Fifth Avenue in NYC,
I recorded at 185 nWb/m in 1975-1982 using mostly Maxell UD-35 and NAB
EQ. With the organ pedal such as it is, I didn't want to push levels
with NAB EQ. My 1982 recording was done on Ampex 407. I was using two
ReVox A77s at 15 in/s two-track (in parallel). But Kevin Dauphinee gave
me some yellow stickers and I never knew the difference until perusing
this scan a few years ago.

However, even with using 185 nWb/m with UD-35 or 407 would have less
masking noise than 3M 111. I think that 3M 202 was lower noise than 3M
111, but then 3M 206 had the same noise floor as 3M 202, but higher
output levels.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard at richardhess.com