[ProAudio] FeralA - Recordings released encoded with Dolby A

Bob Olhsson olh at hyperback.com
Sun Feb 9 09:59:55 EST 2020

It was not uncommon for people to accidentally leave the decoder off from a track and decide they preferred the encoded sound. There were also modified units that were used as an effect. There is a famous story of the Doors’ “Light My Fire” accidentally being mastered without decoding and eventually being released that way because the artist and producer really liked the sound.

Bob Olhsson 615-562-4346

From: Richard L. Hess via ProAudio

He has also found that many/most of these decode better as
Sum/Difference (or MS).

He thinks that there might have been a reference document in the
mastering industry--it is that consistent.

Does anyone know anything about this, or is it just happenstance?

We don't think it's a common failure mode of old decoders--but it
appears intentional.