[ProAudio] stereo perception through headphones

Sonovo post at sonovo.no
Wed Feb 5 13:14:32 EST 2020

The Realiser will create a personalized HRTF for any number of speakers up to 16. I’ve used the A8 exclusively with 5.1 and 7.1 rooms, the new A16 supports Auro-3D, Atmos and DTS:X rooms, all up to a maximum of 16 independent channels.

Want a dubbing stage to bring along in your carry on? Use the A16 to sample whatever room you want - and you get your own HRTF in that room, essentially “capturing” the studio as you hear it. It’s a powerful tool.

My experience with it is that it’s extremely accurate with good headphones (eg HD800s, Stax, etc) and faithfully recreates the room, lacking only the very lowest frequencies. The sounds appear to come from outside your head, in the room, despite being in headphones.

The downside of course being that for an optimal HRTF, you actually need to be physically in the room you want to sample and capture. Seems like a fair deal to me to buy a few hours of time in a handful of high end rooms to have them all in the box whenever I need.

Best regards,
Thor