[ProAudio] Removing Crosstalk Was: stereo perception throughheadphones

Bob Olhsson olh at hyperback.com
Sun Feb 2 13:31:55 EST 2020

John Windt ran Motown’s shop in Detroit and built the first 1” 8-track with remote input switching and punch-in capability in 1964.

Tom Dowd told me we pioneered modern multitrack recording. He had only used Atlantic’s second-ever machine for a safety and for stereo remix capability on live to mono dates. John told me he excitedly told Les Paul about that machine at the next  AES show and to his surprise, Paul was ready to slug him. I told that story to Dowd and he said Les Paul’s machine had “problems” and he’d had to make some pretty major changes to get Atlantic’s to work. Tom had loaned us his 1” alignment tape to get our machine up and running. I later learned that Ampex only made that one and were not planning to make any more.

Anyhow my point is to give you a little context for John’s work.

Bob Olhsson 615-562-4346

From: Corey Bailey Audio Engineering via ProAudio

Since JW's facilities had MCI machines, perhaps that's where he got the idea.
Corey