[ProAudio] AES on the west coast, was Re: Ampex/ProAudio List Dinner

Scott Dorsey kludge at panix.com
Sun Nov 3 14:48:58 EST 2019

I am sort of inclined to disagree with David Josephson.  He is in every way
correct that the industry has changed and that manufacturing has heavily
consolidated and that consequently there is not the critical mass to have a
big audio event on the west coast.

However, I actually prefer small audio events.  I like the European shows
more than the NY shows precisely because they are small and they have less
manufacturer involvement.  There is more emphasis on actual technology and
I like that.

I also think that, because manufacturing has consolidated so much and that
a relatively small number of manufacturers dominate the pro audio scene,
it is to everyone's benefit for the AES to support those small manufacturers
that do exist.  I don't go to the AES show to see what new stuff Harman
is promoting this week.  I go to the AES show to see the kid who wrote some
software in his basement and is showing it in a tiny corner booth.

I have felt for some time that there is a strong case of the tail wagging the
dog with the show controlling the AES rather than the other way around, and
that ties into the same thing.

One thing that HAS made me feel very happy is that in the last five years or
so there has been a great increase in workshops and tutorials that provide
a sort of bridge between the trade show and the papers sessions.  I would
like to see more of these made open to the public and I'd like people to be
encouraged to attend the papers sessions rather than discouraged by cost.
--scott