[ProAudio] Dolby A with no tones (was 4-channel program distribution format(s))

Richard L. Hess lists at richardhess.com
Wed Jan 25 17:04:13 PST 2023

Jim,

It all depends on the use.

For archival preservation copies, I don't touch EQ or do anything,
thereby allowing some future engineer the opportunity to use better
tools than I have available in the future to do something without having
to undo anything.

However, for many projects, I deliver a preservation copy and an access
copy which is EQ'd, de-noised, and whatever else is needed.

Of course I try to set the correct tape playback EQ (NAB/IEC) or some of
the other variations listed in IASA TC-04 and use my ears for that, but
keep it standards-based.

Noise reduction like we're talking about is a big concern, which is why
I provide a raw and a noise reduced transfer, again, so no one has to
undo something I did if it was wrong, and undoing NR is no where near as
easy as undoing EQ.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email:richard at richardhess.com