[ProAudio] Flight recorder/simulation?

Sonovo post at sonovo.no
Sat Jan 15 09:07:37 PST 2022

Hi guys,

A long time client of mine (band) is making a new album and wanted to try to mix or master one or more of the tracks via a flight recorder as part of the story (as a kind of memento mori tied to a catastrophic event, think "Don’t Look Up”). They are a conceptually driven band, so each album is written around a concept and story that the songs tell.

First, are flight recorders analogue (tape) or digital (SSD)? I expect they are all solid state, at least modern ones. Second, do they capture sound from an ambient mic in the cockpit, or via the headsets worn by the crew (i.e. what kind of audio quality, bandwidth and ambient noise would one expect)? Third, if we actually obtained one (seem to be a few on eBay), does anyone know how one would interface with it and power it?

I expect they’ll buy an old used one and use it as a prop, and use modern digital tools to recreate the sonics for this song and album. But in the event they want to use it, I want to know if it’s possible and what it would entail.

Any idea where I could learn more and help the band realize their idea?

Best regards,

Thor Legvold
--
Sonovo A/S
Stereo + Surround Mastering & Production