[ProAudio] Microphones question--Mic preamp gain and optimum mic output level

Richard L. Hess lists at richardhess.com
Sun Jun 20 13:46:53 PDT 2021

Hi, Dan,

As someone who has been involved with the design of some large
facilities, this type of approach occurred to me. We had two big
concerns: Maintaining the quality of the microphone sound, and not
having one operator shoot another in the foot by adjusting gain at the
wrong time.

My solution was to have dual-gain mic preamps at the connection panel
and run an intermediate level to Radio broadcast, TV broadcast,
recording, FOH, and Monitors. The mic preamps would switch between
condenser and ribbon (for sake of argument)--and maybe have a "line"
input. It didn't fly.

Another engineer I know currently does designs for large venues/shows
and in his world, the inputs are all bridged across the raw mic output.

I fear this type of thing is like pushing a string.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard at richardhess.com