[ProAudio] Microphones question

Dan Lavry dan at lavryengineering.com
Mon Jun 14 19:48:21 PDT 2021

We are talking about audio fiction, so here we go:

A new (year old) TI AD IC, the PCM6240-Q1, on figure 37 of the data
sheet states:

Figure37 and Figure38 show how to connect a DC-coupled microphone for a
differentialand single-endedinput,respectively.Thevalue of the
externalbias resistor,R1, must be appropriately chosen basedupon
themicrophone impedance. For a differential input,the value of the
externalbias resistor is recommendedto beused for half of the microphone
impedance,whereas for a single-ended input,the externalbiasresistor is
recommendedto be the same as the microphone impedance.

They are advocating matching the  load to the mic output impedance
(obviously for maximum power transfer). That optimal setup is of course
only true if the mic could support such load while "behaving well"
(linearly, no clipping or other issues).

I do respect TI. It is a good company with good reputation. So can we
sort out facts from fiction? I think the answer is simple, but I will
let you experts debate it if you wish. I am logging off for now, I am
starting to feel like an old guy talking too much, and this "mic

Regards

Dan Lavry