[ProAudio] Microphones question

David Josephson dlj at josephson.com
Mon Jun 14 13:13:57 PDT 2021

In practice, in the market, the digitally interfaced microphone is
history for high quality audio capture. There are many USB microphones
for hobbyist/utility use, but no new professional (AES42 interface)
microphones have been introduced in at least 10 years. There has been no
interest in continuing work on the few refinements needed to that
standard in the past meetings of AESSC SC-04-04. Jitter is one problem,
of course, another is synchronization. We developed an approach that
allows mics to sync to system clock but it was not widely adopted; Mode
1 interface is more common but it requires that all signals pass through
a sample rate converter.