[ProAudio] Microphones question

Dan Lavry dan at lavryengineering.com
Fri Jun 11 21:32:29 PDT 2021

You mentioned digitizing at the mic. It is interesting to see the TDK mics, sending one bit stream, and the 4 ch ic that receives that signal and decimats it with 4 or 5 pole filter to i2s or tdm. Dan LavrySent from Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Scott Dorsey <kludge at panix.com> Date: 6/11/21  5:35 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: proaudio at bach.pgm.com, dan at lavryengineering.com Subject: Re: [ProAudio] Microphones question The answer is partly that microphones vary all over the place in theiroutput impedance.  Effective output impedance of some condenser microphonesis around 50 ohms.  But an RCA ribbon wants to see 2K or higher or you'lllose high frequencies because the high frequency impedance is higher than the impedance at 1kc.So... 150 ohms seems like a nice reasonable middle ground that more or lessrepresents a wide range of microphones.  If I was going to pick a value fora standard to measure noise at, I'd pick something in that range.And yes, there are cases where preamp A is quieter with the Schoeps andnoisier with the RCA compared with preamp B.  It is stuff like this which drives the Neumann Solution-D and other attemptsto digitize signals at the mike and eliminate the whole mike/preamp interface.--scott