[ProAudio] Can''t Burn CUE/BIN or ISO Files to CD

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Jul 18 16:57:59 PDT 2021

On 7/18/2021 4:25 PM, James Perrett wrote:
> Does the drive read discs? You said that you can write .wav files - how
> are you doing that?

Windows Multimedia Player will write .wav files just fine.

Could the .wav burning software be preventing
> anything else from writing to the drive?

That has occurred to me -- indeed, it was the first thing I suspected,
and I've tried everything I can think of.

> Most drives nowadays use a standard command set (MMC) and the driver is
> built into Windows so an additional driver shouldn't be needed. Have you
> looked at Device Manager to see if the device is reported as working?

Windows Media Player won't burn CUE/BIN or .iso files. My projects are
live recordings, a continuous /wav file recorded live in a club,
typically 60-90 minutes. I'm editing them in Reaper to remove extraneous
talk and dead time. Then I'm using Reaper to insert track marks with
titles, which it then renders to a .cue file which inserts the track
markers and titles, and the .bin file that is the audio data. I'm doing
this so that the CD can play as a continuous experience, but also have
track marks. I did this 20-25 years ago with SAW, burning to an internal
Plextor drive, but without titles (I don't think that capability had
been set up in those days).

If the Windows burner does the burn with individual .wav files, it
inserts 2 sec blank between files, which I do NOT want.

The first of these I'm trying to burn are in the range of 65 minutes.
The longer ones I'll later split up.

The next thing I plan to try is another machine with an internal drive.
This drive is a USB3.0-connected Pioneer.

Jim