[ProAudio] VU meter permitted overdrive with a sine wave...

Bob Katz bobkatz at digido.com
Fri Jan 29 07:32:25 PST 2021

Thanks, Bill. I've cc'ed your comment to the Pro Audio list.

Not all VUs to my experience incorporate the 3.9k internally. The oldest
Weston meters required you to add an external resistor. I can't remember
if the Sifams incorporate the resistor internally or not.

As a matter of fact, depending on the source impedance, you might want
to be anal about it and decide to use a slightly smaller resistor if the
source impedance is fairly high, as would have been the case in
transformer coupled, older vintage gear, where a 3.6k plus the 300 ohm
source impedance would have been a better match.

But I quibble in today's world, you would use a vu meter driver with
negligibly small output impedance and admittedly a 3.9k ohm.

And who uses VU meters anymore?  I have a couple of outboard vintage
pieces of gear with real VUs incorporated!

Best wishes,

Bob