[ProAudio] VU meter permitted overdrive with a sine wave...

Bob Katz bobkatz at digido.com
Thu Jan 28 09:26:55 PST 2021

This list has been remarkably silent, but I am very grateful that it's
around when I have a question to ask AUDIO EXPERTS.

Who here knows the acceptable rating of a standard mechanical VU meter
above 0 VU with a sine wave?  If I recall correctly, they are designed
to accept as high as +6 VU or even higher. For example, when doing
testing of a tape recorder for headroom. It's still ideal to shut off
the meter, but in some cases that's not possible.

Thanks and happy New Year!

Bob

--

If you want good sound on your album, come to Bob Katz 407-831-0233
DIGITAL DOMAIN MASTERING STUDIO Author: *Mastering Audio* Digital Domain