[ProAudio] Mastering and monitoring for spatial audio

David Josephson dlj at josephson.com
Thu Apr 15 23:22:01 PDT 2021

Thanks, Thor. It’s not the surround authoring, realizing the 5.1 stems for instance is already done. Apple spatial audio is not very well documented (surprise!) but the intent seems to be that 5.1, 7.1 or Atmos content would be rendered binaurally, anchored to the relationship between the playback device and the wearer’s ears. As you move your head, the sound remains centered on the device, by using dynamic head tracking of the Airpods Pro.

Apparently, this is only possible when playing back through an app set up for Apple spatial audio, such as Apple TV. Tidal supports Dolby Atmos file playback also. I’m looking for a work path that will bypass the home cinema production cycle and the streaming services. In the list of compatible programs, the Mac OS file browser FE File Explorer Pro apparently plays Atmos files through spatial audio but I haven’t gotten it to work yet.

Will continue to look around, any leads appreciated…

David