[ProAudio] stereo perception through headphones

Bill Whitlock engineer_bill at verizon.net
Thu Jan 30 10:48:58 EST 2020

Hello Group,
I'll just throw my 2-cents worth in here. Although electronic circuit design is my thing, I designed all the hardware for the Spatializer(R) that was popular in the 90s, both in mixdown (the "pro" unit) and in consumer electronics (via an IC made by Matsushita/Panasonic). The pro device allowed 2D joystick panning of individual channels in mix-down. The consumer IC expanded separation for devices with closely-spaced speakers. In the early phase of hardware design, I had hours of discussions with its inventor Steve Desper (former recording engineer for the Beach Boys), where I learned a lot about directional cues in human hearing (I'm by no means an expert, but I "get it" generally).  To grossly over-simplify:  Our ear/brain's most dominant directional cues come from IAD (inter-aural delay) due to the length of the acoustic path between our ears (roughly 1 milli-second). The direction of the sound source creates arrival time differences between the two ears - except the front-and-center case, where they're obviously equal.
In true binaural recording, mics are at ear position on a dummy human head, so the recording is of signals as they arrive at each ear of the dummy - therefore, the IAD becomes part of the recording.  In "normal" stereo recording, signals are recorded as they radiate from their sources in space around the listener - the IAD is provided by the listener's own head, and is NOT part of the recording. So when a normal recording is listened to with headphones, the IAD is missing - which confuses our ear/brain perception mechanisms and sounds very un-natural (usually grossly exaggerated separation and an "inside my head" perception) when listening to conventional "pan-pot" mixes.
IMHO, this is an apples vs oranges problem and any conversion between the two would, of necessity, be very complex!
If I recall correctly, back in the 1950s, a fellow named Bauer recognized this problem and developed some electronic "cross-talk" networks to process normal recordings to sound more natural in headphones.  As Scott said, various schemes have been tried over the years - with variable success.  I honestly don't know if any of the providers of headphone only products (which are all the rage today) have attempted to "fix" this problem. Or has the younger generation just accepted this "strange sound" as normal (as with MP3 and other highly processed audio). My biggest fear is that, as speaker reproduction loses popularity, recordings will be made specifically for headphone listening ... which would make them "weird" sounding over speakers. Perhaps this is a fear because I'm not a big fan of headphones, especially in public spaces - I use them only when listening to noise floors or evaluating distortion.
I hope this might shed a bit of light on the discussion. Now back to work!
Bill WhitlockWhitlock ConsultingAES Life Fellow - IEEE Life Senior Member642 College DriveVentura, CA  93003Office (805) 755-5018