[ProAudio] FeralA - Recordings released encoded with Dolby A

Scott Dorsey kludge at panix.com
Tue Feb 11 10:41:53 EST 2020

>  Have others experienced head gaps being out of line with one another?

I have seen it.  The thing is... if the head gaps are out of line, you
cannot align accurately.

The most common thing I have seen are heads where the edges of the gap are
not parallel with one another... you can adjust azimuth for one track or
the other track but not both.

In this case, if you were to adjust azimuth for HF peak, you would find
different settings for peaking top and bottom tracks, and a third setting
if you tried to peak the mono sum.

I have never seen anything like this on a properly designed and well-maintained
tape machine but I have seen it on tapes made by schools.
--scott