[ProAudio] FeralA - Recordings released encoded with Dolby A

Bob Katz bobkatz at digido.com
Tue Feb 11 09:21:14 EST 2020

Here are three responses to three different subjects that have expanded
from the original topic!

I. There are so many ways that test tones at the head of a tape could be
different from the audio on the tape. In the old days in some studios I
saw some visiting engineers lay down test tones after the fact, on a
different machine than was used for the mixdown, as if that would help
the situation.

We transfer engineers have developed a spidey sense and often check and
recheck the content to ensure it has not changed from cut to cut. On
most machines, before making the transfer for a new cut, you can put
your finger on the side of the tape to tilt it slightly, while listening
in mono to ensure the azimuth has not drifted, and then transfer the new
cut.

II. As for Bob O's comment against the practice of doing elevated dolby
level, I agree there was a standard for 185, but as people started to
use elevated levels as high as 6 dB over 185, I was seriously concerned
about running out of headroom in the Dolby gear if standard dolby level
was used, and so as a practice, I see less harm in using an elevated
dolby level than to overload the Dolby processor with too hot audio. I
always recorded dolby tone as well as 1 kHz @  VU. The Dolby 361 meters,
as Richard mentioned, were notoriously inaccurate, I would put a sharpie
mark on the real dolby level on the meter, for what it was worth. There
was a Dolby tester that could be used for accuracy of the dolby tone or
I believe a test point that could be checked.

III. Dear John:

So you set azimuth by looking at the bias. Are you looking at two
channels of bias? And how is this superior to the tried and true method
of mono-summing the left and right audio channel and adjusting for
maximum high frequency response, also checking by inverting the polarity
of one and going for a minimum as a cross check?

Best wishes,

Bob

--

If you want good sound on your album, come to Bob Katz 407-831-0233
DIGITAL DOMAIN MASTERING STUDIO Author: *Mastering Audio* Digital Domain