[ProAudio] FeralA - Recordings released encoded with Dolby A

Richard L. Hess lists at richardhess.com
Sun Feb 9 15:03:31 EST 2020

Hi, James,

Thanks for writing. I'm glad you're getting good results with John's
software.

His initial goal was to make what we're now calling "FeralA" recordings
(and others) sound better than the versions that he was able to
purchase. Someone introduced me to him as I had publicly given up my
quest for a software Dolby A decoder. John and I have been working
together (he's the programmer) to try and make a go of this. I think his
latest version will have fixed a few lingering issues we've been
discussing and now that he's done so much work on "FeralA" we want to
include it in the manual as a separate section for those who wish to
remaster from recordings that are less than ideal. The Universal vault
fire comes to mind as an event that means that the stuff that's out
there is the best version available in some instances.

Yes, the confusion factor is great.

Are you saying the suit would be unthinkable today? I tend to agree.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard at richardhess.com
Aurora, Ontario, Canada           http://www.richardhess.com/