[ProAudio] FeralA - Recordings released encoded with Dolby A

Richard L. Hess lists at richardhess.com
Sun Feb 9 12:56:25 EST 2020

The problem, Scott, with CD reissue vs LP vs single is that the CD
reissue is often the most pristine copy available, even if it's mangled
a bit. That is why in the next issue of the DHNDRD DA decoder we're
going to include the FeralA processing in the software (as an option)
and more information in the manual as to how to use it. It is another
tool in the toolbox for cleaning up reissues if there is available funding.

I hated the Man of LaMancha OoBC CD and loved (and had a very worn) LP.
At one point I wondered if the master tape was AME, but it turns out
most of the difference was that the LP was professionally mastered and
the CD wasn't. I was able to fairly quickly re master it to be more
pleasing and more like the LP.

As you may know I'm a big Judy Collins fan and at one point, when Alan
Silverman was doing reissues of the original Elektra albums, I offered
him a clean transfer from LP of Judy Collins/3. He ended up re-mastering
it as the tape to him didn't sound anything like the LP copy I sent
him...and since it was one of my favourite albums, I knew what it
sounded like and the still-sealed LP I scarfed up in the 1990s sounded
as good as the earlier ones. Also, a funny story, the tones at the head
of that master tape caused Alan a bit of a challenge...the azimuth of
the tone didn't match the azimuth of the audio!

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard at richardhess.com
Aurora, Ontario, Canada           http://www.richardhess.com/