[ProAudio] FeralA - Recordings released encoded with Dolby A

Richard L. Hess lists at richardhess.com
Sun Feb 9 12:47:41 EST 2020

Hi, Bill,

I got into TV facilities engineering right out of university in 1974 and
did that full-time until 2004 when I switched over to tape restoration
which I had started doing in 1998 part time. I could hear the noise
reduction of Dolby A (properly aligned) but didn't hear the artifacts
that I hear now once John's magic software removes them, even though my
hearing was better then, but less trained. I actually had suggested that
we consider Dolby A for ALL 1-inch type C video tapes as we were
considering that switch in the late 1970s. Julie Barnathan got me in his
limo for a ride back to the hotel after the NAB show one day and asked
me, "What difference am I going to hear on 3-inch speaker." No Dolby A
on the 1-inch machines. Which, with 20/20 hindsight was probably a good
idea for archiving and interchange.

It's shocking the number of noise-reduction-encoded tapes that I
transfer that have no reference. I've gotten very good ad adjusting
Dolby B by ear. One can hear the mistracking if the overall level
remains the same and you adjust the machine's output level and the
monitor level together...it "snaps" into place. Of course, that makes it
impractical to use the cassette machine's built-in Dolby. I use an
outboard Dolby 422.

I continue to be amazed at the number of people who don't really
understand this. If you haven't looked at the 361 manual link, it's
worth a look as it didn't help ease the confusion, but the rule is the
Dolby Tone goes to the centre dot on the Dolby meter (though I think
those meters weren't all that consistent--perhaps why they went to LEDs
in the 363 (A/SR) and 422 (B/C/S) processors. Sadly those are no longer
available.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard at richardhess.com