[ProAudio] FeralA - Recordings released encoded with Dolby A

Richard L. Hess lists at richardhess.com
Sun Feb 9 09:32:00 EST 2020

My colleague in the software decoder for recordings made with Dolby A
noise reduction has been very interested in commercial releases that
appear encoded.

He has spent a good deal of time researching this. Thankfully, he's
spared me most of the listening, but he's getting very good support from
some online audiophiles, including one, I think, who writes for The
Absolute Sound or something like that. I can hear the difference in the
samples he sent me.

The premise is that many albums were released without proper Dolby A
decoding.

I've been told this is the case for a few albums, including at least one
recent re-release which was mixed undecoded from the Dolby A multitrack.

What makes this more interesting is that he's finding a handful of EQ
curves need to be applied to the recording prior to decoding.

He has also found that many/most of these decode better as
Sum/Difference (or MS).

He thinks that there might have been a reference document in the
mastering industry--it is that consistent.

Does anyone know anything about this, or is it just happenstance?

We don't think it's a common failure mode of old decoders--but it
appears intentional.

I know this sounds crazy, but there seems to be experimental support for
this and the consistency of it is interesting.

Does anyone know of any processes that were used in mastering back in
the 70s that might create this. We don't think it's the Aphex Aural
Exciter--that is a different kind of annoyance for my colleague. He has
done some experimenting on a De-Exciter.

Example artists are Linda Ronstadt, Olivia Newton John, and to some
extent Abba.

One of the reasons I've not attempted to shut down his FeralA
experiments is that it has led to better finessing of the parameters and
better decoding of real Dolby A recordings.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess                   email: richard at richardhess.com